Practising for 5 minutes?
Hell yeah! And here is why:
- As a horn-player you have to train your embouchure. Each minute counts !
- Repetition and regularity are the magic words and only means to be able to play the stuff you want to be able to play.
- Everything you practise has to work automatically. How do you achieve this? Repetition and regular practice no matter if you do it for 5 minutes or 5 hours!
- Are you breathing correctly in your daily routine? Do you breathe deeply and do you use your lungs to their full extend? That’s what you do when playing the saxophone. Playing often makes you breathe deply during the whole day.
- Whe you breathe correctly and deeply while doing something else instead of playing your horn you will improve your tone on the sax. Your tone will be more stable and more voluminous.
- The less you have to think abut things like breathing and a weak embouchure, the easier and more freely sax-playing will be! ….and that’s lots more fun too!
- Don’t be discourged when things don’t work as you want the to work. Remember those plateaus you got to take when climbing up a hill?
- Don’t be too ambitious.
- Don’t compare yourself to others. When a student asks me:“What do I have to be able to play after practising the sax for 2 years?“ My answer is:“Exactly what you are able to play right now, plus a little more.“
- Learn from others.
- Never stop learning. Even if it’s only for 5 minutes!
Sure, it’s great to have lots of time to practise and be relaxed when practising. Necertheless, if you got 5 minutes or 5 hours you have to have a schedule what to practise, how to practise and why to practise to achieve your goals.
Sax-Workout is the plan!